The Summer Leavers Programme has been created by Developing the Young Workforce (DYW), the Scottish Government’s Youth Employment Strategy. DYW is made up of 21 employer-led regional groups, of which DYW Shetland is one.
The Scotland’s Biggest Parents’ Events will provide information and updates on topics to support young people with the transition from school while the DYW Skills Academy is a series of activities and virtual experiences with industry to support young people build capacity to enter the labour market.
There will be four Scotland’s Biggest Parents’ Events throughout the summer which will allow parents and carers to hear about options and next steps for young people, including the things that matter to them right now. The events are:
- School Leavers 2020 - Tuesday 7 July at 7pm
- Vocational Training – Tuesday 21 July at 7pm
- #NoWrongPath to Industry – Tuesday 4 August at 7pm
- Pathways to Priority Industries – Tuesday 15 September at 7pm
The first event takes place on the Young Scot YouTube and Facebook channels and will focus on information for school leavers, including information about the exam assessment process, skills development and mental health and wellbeing support.
Anyone interested in attending this event will have to register by Tuesday 7 July by visiting www.dyw.scot/sbpe
The DYW Skills Academy: Get Industry Ready will run through July and August and will include a series of virtual activities and employability experiences for young people. Some of these activities are open to all young people, while others are targeted to those who are looking to apply for a job or apprenticeship. This is a five-week programme and will include the following sessions:
- Week 1 – Industry Insight Session (open to all)
- Week 2 – Skills Sessions (open to all)
- Week 3 – E-Learning (open to young people progressing into employment)
- Week 4 – #NoWrongPath (open to all)
- Week 5 – Applying for Jobs (open to young people currently applying for jobs/apprenticeships)
For more information about each week’s activities and to register to join the DYW Skills Academy, visit www.dyw.scot/skills-academy. Registration closes on Sunday 12 July.
For more information on the Summer Leavers Programme visit www.dyw.scot, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @DYW Shetland for updates.